Spring Lake Farm forum

Not much to these pictures this morning, but will try to write about them. This stallion is a Polish Arabian, have 4 stallions on the farm, 2 born here. This one was severely injured last year, got cauht by its hind foot in a fence and tore it just over the hove all the way around, deep into the flesh, don't know if the sinews where injured.

I was sure he was a goner and getting ready to put him down. But waited and gave him extra feed in the field every morning. He lost condition but he kept on going. When it got colder I brought him inside for the winter. Put him with the cows late April. Getting to be a year now and I think the wound will close by mid summer. I don't think it would have helped sowing it up, gangrene probably set in and not enough skin to cover it anyway. The healing power of horses just incredible, but of course this a warhorse. These horses were supposed to beat the Nazis, another story you can Google. This is what happens on farms, always something,. You can see he is looking pretty good, good condition

Been working the cattle the last few days, sorting them and such. Pleasantly surprised how the steers are doing and this picture of a 2 year old steer, getting ready. One picture of the piglets from last summer in the field. Enough grass to go around, you can hardly see them. Pigs raised this way take much longer to grow, the pigs in the factories on antibiotics to make them grow faster and other drugs I don't even want to know about. I get my pork every morning and firmly believe it to be my live's elixir, especially the fat. I am doing this just as must for my self as you, believe it or not. 

My birthday today, found this picture of me taken Nov. 7 1965 on my grandfather's birthday . His 80th birthday and an event held by the Icelandic Government where he was given the highest Order of the nation. He declined it on the grounds some jerks had gotten it before him, didn't want to be in that club or something, was quite the news story then. Me, my father, his sister and him. 

You can see how small I am for my age, 15  years old in this picture. How old would you think this boy is? Think maybe I suffered from malnutrition as a child, another story I might tell later.

IMG_9463 low.jpg

IMG_9465 low.jpg

IMG_9466 low.jpg

IMG_9468 low.jpg

IMG_9469 low.jpg

IMG_9472 low.jpg

IMG_9473 low.jpg

IMG_9475 low.jpg

Pabbi, ég, Ása og afi.jpg

Guest Nora

Happy Birthday! Best wishes!

These are some beautiful horses! 

23 hours ago, Guest Nora said:

Happy Birthday! Best wishes!

These are some beautiful horses! 

Thanks. Not much to the pictures this morning except they were taken this morning, a little visit. Titus the cat,  weary of the dogs, something must have happened. The mares up on the hill, all Polish Arabians except one Spanish Arabian, ended up here by change. Getting old and did not do well this winter, had to bring her in. Not going to be on the farm another winter. 

In the morning when I go out, the sheep are still lying down after the night. In the middle of the field, meaning they feel secure, the dogs doing their jobs. So many problems I have solved in my farming adventure through the years, but still many to solve and the time getting shorter, my 68th birthday Yesterday.

The Internet is just beyond believe, finding pictures of my great grand parents and putting them in. This on my fathers side. Sure I can find pictures too on my mothers side if I look, this enough for today. Will tell you about them later.

When I took the dogs out before going to bed, the moon was spectacular enough to try to take a picture. Just that the camera could not handle it.

IMG_9476 low.jpg

IMG_9477  low.jpg

IMG_9478 low.jpg

IMG_9480 low.jpg

IMG_9481 low.jpg

IMG_9482 low.jpg

IMG_9483 low.jpg

IMG_9486 low.jpg

IMG_9490 low.jpg

Sveinn Ingimundarson (16. nóvember 1842 - 13. apríl 1908) Ljósmynd.jpg

Karitas Þorsteinsdóttir (27. júlí 1852 - 29. júlí 1928) Ljósmynd II.jpg

Lang amma low.jpg

Langafi low.jpg

Fog this morning as you can see. One of the pictures upside down. One picture of the hay from last summer. These bales are about 5 by 4 feet and about 1000 pounds. If you wrap them like this, the hay does not have to be dry, bacteria in the hay then makes it sour becouse no air get through the plastic and it can keep that for a long time like sauerkraut.

But if there is a brake in the plastic the bale if moisture in it will go bad. If dry it will still keep for a while. Better to have too much hay than too little. If I do not use it next winter, I can use it for mulch in my top soil business, plans, plans, plans. The roll of plastic costs about $83, enough for maybe 30 bales then about $3 a bale. Then the problem getting rid of the plastic, we take it to the local dump where it gets recycled.

Finished this channel Yesterday, the only thing left to smooth the surface with the skidsteer and then put down some grass seed. These are my parents on their wedding day, went on to have 5 children me the fourth.

Anything else? Yes plan to send out a newsletter today to tell everybody about next delivery. Will not put too much work into it. Haying coming up, but also because I am worn out, emotionally if nothing else. My case in Iceland heating up, hopefully going into court next week after now 2 years of getting it there, not sure it would happen.

Thinking about either translating what is going into court myself or have a "legal translator" do it for me. The one who translated the documents I put in in "Kjarval vs. Iceland".  He recently  retired from The International Monetary Fund, lived in DC for years, but moved back to Iceland a couple of years ago. Has a daughter in DC. if I am right. 

One more thing, the chicks and the ducklings coming out of the incubators. Only doing enough to keep it going another year, the hope to do both range raised ducks and chicken big time at some point, plans, plans, plans. Will try to put in some pictures. By breeding my own chicken and ducks I am getting hardier birds better adjusted to the climate here and how I raises them generation by generation.

mammaogpabbi[1].jpg

IMG_9491 low.jpg

IMG_9492 low.jpg

IMG_9494 low.jpg

IMG_9498 low.jpg

IMG_9499 low.jpg

IMG_9500 low.jpg

IMG_9503 low.jpg

IMG_9504 low.jpg

Happy birthday Ingi !!

Nice seeing you last week. You have some wonderful family pictures. Hopefully the next generation will preserve your family‘s legacy. 

The farm is looking good. I hope to be able to get up to see you next month  :)

22 hours ago, Rob said:

The farm is looking good. I hope to be able to get up to see you next month  :)

Thanks, nice seeing you too, going to send you an email very soon, have plans. ?

Fog this morning as you can see, lot of pictures and want to explain all of them. Funny thing about Pop, she seems to be a water dog, goes into the water all the time and seems comfortable in it. Pip never goes into the water, but their son Pez goes in sometimes. These dogs, even if they have pedigree are not purebreds, out of different kinds of terriers, all different.

Adam by the chicks, even stallions can be lonely. He has been by the chicks, later chicken, every sumer now for several years and bonds to them, think he stomped a skunk killing them last year. Eccho and Dumas with the rams. Dumas spent the winter with the stallion Eccho, took the rams out maybe in January, Dumas was extremely  happy getting them back last week.

The steers lying down in one picture but up in the next. If I had been by self they would not have gotten up, cows do not like dogs. Lot of Canada geese on the farm, saw the first gosling's Yesterday, these must be young birds not breeding. 

This rooster a mixture of Canadian chicken made by a monk up in Quebec, winterhardy, Chantecler , notice the small comb and a Ohio chicken breed buckeye. You can google them your self. Out to do the chores being it weekend or not, trying to put up some gravel, more on that later.

IMG_9505 low.jpg

IMG_9507 low.jpg

IMG_9508 low.jpg

IMG_9509 low.jpg

IMG_9510 low.jpg

IMG_9511 low.jpg

IMG_9512 low.jpg

IMG_9513 low.jpg

IMG_9514 low.jpg

IMG_9516 low.jpg

IMG_9517 low.jpg

IMG_9518 low.jpg

IMG_9521 low.jpg

IMG_9523 low.jpg

IMG_9525 low.jpg

IMG_9526 low.jpg

IMG_9528 low.jpg

IMG_9519 low.jpg

Colder this morning, waiting for it to clear up so I can start haying. By Thursday it is supposed to be sun for several days. Not that it has rained, just drops here and there, but several times almost a heavy shower. Been putting up gravel like a madman, worked on the skidsteer till 9 PM and not dark when I went inside.

I am from Iceland and this time of year light 24 hours, but always surprised how long the light is here at our latitude. Understand we are at the same latitude as Madrid Spain, far far south to us Icelanders, Britain, France, Ireland etc. in between. Here just Canada and then the North Pole.

I had to wait for the dirt to dry enough so I could screen it and ones I start haying, I will not have time for anything else. The plan to have this gravel and topsoil pay some of the bills, so we will screen as much today as we can till it gets dark.

What do they say "a watched sow never farrow's". Every summer they get fatter and bigger but no piglets, then all of sudden they are here. My sows only have piglets ones a year. In the factories three times, weaned at 21 days and the piglets put on medication so they can survive, their immune systems not developed. The proof in the budding, there she is eating something green.

Pip found something and must have eaten it, Pez doing like the wolf pups do when the pack comes back from a hunt, licking his mouth to have Pip vomit what ever it was he ate. 

Going to put in an article I saw in Washington Post in the negativity discussion, we do not want anything depressing here do we.

IMG_9533 low.jpg

IMG_9534 low.jpg

IMG_9537 low.jpg

IMG_9539 low.jpg

IMG_9540 low.jpg

Much colder this morning, must have been in the forties when I got up, put on a sveatter, thicker socks and then my winter coat when I went outside. Lot of pictures of no very much in them. The ducklings and chicks coming out of the incubators.

These incubators a sorry sight, made them my self and not very efficient, but the eggs do hatch, some of them at least. The plan to invest in professional incubators when I bring the production up. As for now just trying to get some every year so I can breed poultry to this climate and how I raise it. The criteria basically to survive and have ducklings and chicks next year. 

The dogs and these walks I take in the morning really helping, I can see how relaxed the ducks are out in the field during the day. The dogs flush out anything lurking around and the predators get the idea, move out or else. Pu got into a skunk Yeterday and had to spend the night in the garage.

Funny thing about these dogs even if they are supposed to be purebreds, very different every one. Now you can see Pu's  ears are starting to stiffen up and be erect. Has something to do with their sexual maturity. Pez's ears are still down, still a puppy. Not like his brother who is peeing with his leg up.

For some reason I have gotten in my head Pu is a dimwit and Pez the brains. Does look like a thinking dog right? Seems to me he is pondering the theory of relativity in this picture. Maybe it has something to do with their coloring, much easier to see what on Pez's mind or at least think that you can see what is on his mind.  

Anything else? Yes, the gravel business taking shape, putting up gravel and hoping I can start selling some. These are the geese, the reason you don't see them much in these picture, I close up the poultry at night and don't let them out until later.

You can see her one chick she was able to hatch out all by her self, saved the chick Yesterday, she had the nest up in the rafters and the chick couldn't get down. I took this picture but didn't realize there was a chick there until I saw the picture.

IMG_9544 low.jpg

IMG_9547.jpg

IMG_9549 low.jpg

IMG_9551 low.jpg

IMG_9553 low.jpg

IMG_9556 low.jpg

IMG_9559 low.jpg

IMG_9561 low.jpg

IMG_9563 low.jpg

IMG_9565 low.jpg

Not much to report this morning, writing this in a sweater, colder. Raining outside, but seems like haying will start tomorrow. Found a dead cow in the field Yesterday just before dark, a heifer had problems calving. Happens but my approach to let them by them self's, the only way if you want a problem free herd.

Not that I don´t help them if I find them in trouble, but then I make sure to cull them  later. Has worked, calving problems much in the past in my herd. Then even if you help them you don´t  always know if they would have done it on their own, a viscous cycle that only ends with a herd that needs help all the time. Also if you are too much on top of them, the cows get nervous, want to find their own place where they can hide the calf after birth and such. Tai followed us on the morning walk, the walk earlier than usual, before 7.

Spent, hours on the  skidsteer last night, until 10 I think screening gravel. Have to be careful not to do it for too long each time. Have to hold this pedal down with my left foot to let the screen rotate while it screens the dirt, could feel it in my knee this morning. 

IMG_9566 low.jpg

IMG_9570 low.jpg

IMG_9571 low.jpg

IMG_9575 low.jpg

IMG_9577 low.jpg

IMG_9579 low.jpg

So many pictures and so little time to say what they are about. First, started haying Yesterday, cutting grass till almost dark. Was supposed to be sun today but as you can see on these pictures not much of it the forcast is:

TODAY

JUN 6
Cloudy
61°46°
20%
NW 5 mph 76%
THU

JUN 7
Partly Cloudy
68°52°
10%
WSW 9 mph 69%
FRI

JUN 8
Partly Cloudy
74°54°
10%
WNW 8 mph 64%
SAT

JUN 9
Showers
68°48°
60%
WNW 6 mph 74%

20% change of rain today and 10% tomorrow. The stallion lying down this morning, horses don´t do that much, can sleep standing if I know right. Me cutting grass next to his field and him galloping around in good spirits, did not favor that leg much, meaning the sinews should be okay. Will be interesting to see how much the swelling goes down ones the wound has healed, a galloping medical experiment I guess. Was thinking about taking a picture of the wound but just too gruesome I think.

the boars still in their nest from the night. The first picture to show how handy the white dot on Pez´z tail is in the dark. The parents tails were docked, a shame I think. Dogs talk with their tails and you need all of it to understand what they are saying.

As you can see the bull lying down is brindle, breeding that into the herd. Wouldn't you like a rug like that on your floor? Thought so, plans, plans, plans. His son standing by his side. When I came by the cows they all ran to the gate asking: "when are you going to take us out of this discusting field and put in a new one with fresh grass". I told them: "in a day, you can clean up a little better, not that bad at all". But of course what do I know, don't eat grass. And that's about it, first chores, then cutting grass all day listening to NPR.

One more thing, they redid the road to the farm, the farm the only thing on it and a summerhouse up the hill, The Cambles or is it Kambles?, not there much. 50 years ago this road went over the hill and down into the next valley. No more, but still on some GPS's like that I understand, could tell you a funny story about that, but then you have to ask.

IMG_9581.jpg low.jpg

IMG_9582 low.jpg

IMG_9583 low.jpg

IMG_9585 low.jpg

IMG_9587 low.jpg

IMG_9589 low.jpg

IMG_9590 low.jpg

IMG_9592 low.jpg

IMG_9594 low.jpg

IMG_9595 low.jpg

IMG_9596 low.jpg

IMG_9599 low.jpg

Dry as they said it would be, not very good drying weather though. Cut maybe 30 acres Yesterday and will bale tomorrow dry or not, possible because of this bale wrap, makes sauerkraut for the cows if not dry. What happens if not dry, the bacteria in the hay will use up the oxygen and make acid ones the bacteria has no more oxygen to work with because the plastic wrap makes everything airtight.

I am no botanist, just a farmer with a camera, don´t even know the names of many of  these plants and if I know then in Icelandic. I know clover (smári) , both red and white clover in this picture. I understand the red clover, maybe both, have a hormone that interferes with livestock, works as birth control, nature has many weapons. Did you here about this guy in Texas Yesterday (maybe on BBC) who chopped up this rattle snake in his yard. Later when he was going to throw it in the trash, the head bit him, almost did not survive. Said a severed snake head can bite you up to several hours later. 

Moved the cows Yesterday,  you can kind of gauge in the morning how content they are by how many of them are lying down, meaning they don´t have to spend a long time filling up on the new grass.

See one of my channels, filled with live, wild ducks of many different species everywhere. Pretty soon ducklings all over trying to hide while their mother pretends to have a broken wing to take me away from them. Must be some million of years old trick by now. I keep on walking by the channel and she in front acting like she can't fly. Then when we are far enough from the ducklings, she just flies off. Who ever falls for this and has for these millions years must be really really dum, or  as she says flying up "stupid stupid stupid" in duck language.

One of the sows grazing, not much grass in that lot, but some. If you know any of these plants tell me. One of them called njóli in Icelandic. As boys we would brake the stem into lengths of a cigarette and light up, pretend to be grownups.

Further south in Warwick at 700 feet where we used to farm, no "njóli". So when we came here at 2000 feet further north, I felt I was half way home. The live of an immigrant. You not born in the Big Apple know the feeling, hometown out there somewhere or even an other country.

Pu disappeared Yesterday, afraid a beaver might have gotten him. What happened, have been leaving them unsupervised for longer periods lately, no chicken killed for several weeks.Then when I went to move the cows I decided to leave them outside. They are supposed go out there to look for things to harass and get moving. When I came back no Pu, will call the pound later. Maybe he is a dimwit or was after all. Or maybe he fell as a hero trying to make that beaver leave. Well probably at the pound, if somebody didn´t steal him, he the one with the neat markings. O the live of a farmer and farm dogs.

Of the six apple trees I planted, four survived, maybe five, struggling. Did you know "six" in Icelandic is spelled "sex"? You see, you are only speaking an Icelandic dialect and all confused, about the birds and the bees and all, no bees in Iceland. 

IMG_9600 low.jpg

IMG_9603 low.jpg

IMG_9605 low.jpg

IMG_9606 low.jpg

IMG_9607 low.jpg

IMG_9608 low.jpg

IMG_9610 low.jpg

IMG_9611 low.jpg

IMG_9612 low.jpg

IMG_9613 low.jpg

IMG_9615 low.jpg

The good news first, Pu is back lying here on the floor.  A neighbor on the road below us sent a picture of him and asked if this was our dog. He must have tried to follow me when I moved the cows and gotten lost, the dimwit.

Reminds me of when us boys were playing by this pond and one of us fell in. When we brought him back to his mother, her first thing was to beat him up. Did not do that to Pu but told him he is a dimwit, ones a dimwit always a dimwit, dimwit, dimwit dimwit. 

Baling today, have to wait for the dew burns off and then on the tractor till dark, hoping to finish it today,.will start working on the delivery tomorrow, not much of a delivery and thats good now the haying has started.

As you can see, starting to train the dogs to dance ?, going to quit farming and join the circus. As you can see, they are wet, take a swim every morning now. and during the day beavers or not.

O by the way the geese hatched out some gosling's, saw three of them just before dark Yesterday, will try to take some pictures. Thought maybe they were coming, when I was gathering the duck eggs for the incubator one of the geese attacked me viscously, would only have done that I think becouse she could hear the gosling's in the eggs. Raising the goslings a comunal afair, all the geese participate. 

One more thing. Yesterday I took the dogs for a long walk, thought maybe Pu was dead somewhere or caught by something. We came up on a wild duck with new ducklings. She started to pretend to be severely wounded, both wings broken and all. The dogs just ignored her, seems like they do not differentiate between our ducks and the wild ones, a good thing, only supposed to hunt predators. 

The geese came over very low, at least couple of hundreds of them. I could hear them coming but because they were so low, they were gone before i could point the camera. Maybe you can see the flies starting to be on the cattle, at least the white one. Will get worse later into the summer, no insecticides on this farm or any drugs what so ever.

these small fish were jumping like crazy on the pond put did not come out in the picture. The cows were in a new field, checking the dogs out more than me, they do not like dogs.

IMG_9625 low.jpg

IMG_9629 low.jpg

IMG_9636 low.jpg

IMG_9638 low.jpg

IMG_9639 low.jpg

low.jpg

IMG_9618 low.jpg

IMG_9619 low.jpg

IMG_9620 low.jpg

IMG_9622 low.jpg

IMG_9624 low.jpg

IMG_9616 low.jpg

Guest Alex Roussos

I enjoyed getting caught up on your posts. Hoping a few of those sheep will turn into Icelandic hotdogs. I think you'd find a market for them now that everyone and his brother have been to Iceland 

19 hours ago, Guest Alex Roussos said:

I enjoyed getting caught up on your posts. Hoping a few of those sheep will turn into Icelandic hotdogs. I think you'd find a market for them now that everyone and his brother have been to Iceland 

10 hours ago, Rob said:

All caught up on reading, interesting stuff! 

Thanks for the encouragement. I have enough plans for many lifetimes and this one getting shorter, but the hot dogs high up there on the list.

Another day in Paradise, no I mean the western Catskills. Did maybe 30-40 acres Yesterday, all baled. This is the mower tractor, Massey Ferguson 390T made in England, the mower in Poland. Will put in pictures of the other equipment later. 

As you see the gravel business moving along, spent maybe three hours almost to ten o'clock screening. You run the dirt through several screens, first the course ones down to the finer ones, chancing out the screens and running the whole pile through again . You either get sand+clay at the end or top soil depending on if you started with dirt from the surface or the hardpan underneath. Hoping this clay is good quality and one of the plans to do something with it. I was a serious potter many years ago and still dream about getting back into pottery. The date on these is 1982,  just before we mowed to the States.

As I said, the first gosling's came out, hatched out by them selfs'. The mother the mother, then father close by, then the whole gaggle keeping them safe. Even if I hatch them in an incubator, the gaggle will adopt them and protect.

Today i will get the orders together, Temma my wife away so you will have forgive me if things are a little disorganized. First the chores and then the rest of the day getting things together for tomorrow.

IMG_6785 low.JPG

IMG_9641 low.jpg

IMG_9643 low.jpg

IMG_9650 low.jpg

IMG_9653 low.jpg

IMG_9657 low.jpg

IMG_9658 low.jpg

IMG_9663 low.jpg

IMG_9664 low.jpg

IMG_9667 low.jpg

IMG_9668 low.jpg

IMG_9672 low.jpg

IMG_9673 low.jpg

IMG_9675 low.jpg

IMG_9676 low.jpg

Short short short, a delivery today. Not a big one, seems like you guys don´t eat much in the summer or maybe you are on grass or something, you never know. But I am doing this delivery anyway, just so I can say I do them every three weeks and you feel you can count on it. Also, my wife is in the City, has to take care of something and maybe we can have a dinner date, us still negotiating the details.

Putting this picture in of Merkel and Trump. Not sending any political messages, just to show the man is wearing a tie in the Icelandic colors, lighter than the colors in the American flag, right?

You did not know this, Trump closely related to us Icelanders, has to do with his mother being from an island by Scotland and that island settled by the same people who settled Iceland. They say the names of places there are many the same as in Iceland. Ergo, no surprise he is wearing the Icelandic colors. So when you throw him out (if you do), he can always come home, maybe we will be in the same nursing home, did you say insane asylum? No you didn't? Did you? Then we are going to wear hats like these.

As you of course know,  Iceland has no  treaty with extradition treaty with the States or any country having the death penalty. That the reason Bobby Fisher ended up in Iceland and both Assagne and Snowdon tried very hard to get to Iceland. So maybe this is an exist stradegty wearing this tie. And Mueller thought he had Trump one pawn at a time, takes an Icelander to see the end game. ?

So the dogs found something under a junk car on the farm. And surprise surprise, Pu kept at it for almost an hour, barked and barked, the reason I found out about it. You could hear this deep growl from under the car, probably a raccoon I would think.

Who ever it was is going to move to another neighborhood I would think. Good job Pu. For the record, racoons take the poultry at night and can go over any barrier. They can have the whole farm, just not be around the house.

Was working the chicks, they can not go outside until they are a little older. Two of them escaped under the door and stayed outside all day. Then by dark I went down there with a flashlight. There they were huddled together in the middle of the field. Brought my hand slowly down over them and grabbed both with one hand. The reason I am telling you, got a warm feeling sensing their warm bodies in my hand, one of the little the pleasures being a farmer. It is a funny thing, you raise these animals for food, but at the same time you are found of them and try to take care of them the best you can. 

Trying to catch a picture of the fish jumping, seems like hundreds of them jump at same time.

IMG_9677 low.jpg

IMG_9678 low.jpg

IMG_9679 low.jpg

IMG_9680 low.jpg

IMG_9681 low.jpg

IMG_9682 low.jpg

IMG_9684 low.jpg

IMG_9687 low.jpg

IMG_9688 low.jpg

IMG_9690 low.jpg

IMG_9691 low.jpg

IMG_9692 low.jpg

trump og Merkel cropped.jpg

Vörunúmer 101100.jpg

Vörunúmer 101100.jpg

http://www.ruv.is/frett/timaflakk-i-midborginni

First this. The year 1918 has a significance in Iceland's history, Iceland got partial Independence from Denmark that year. So Yesterday in Reykjavik the Capital, people dressed them self's up as specific people from 1918 and walked the streets. You  can look at it here above, also hear the language. Like a littler visit to Iceland, See the corrugated roof panels on some of the houses. More on that later and Buck Minster Fuller, but then you have to ask.

Delivery Yesterday, went well, very light and all these systems working, fewer mistakes.

About the pictures, you see the cows with the buttercups. One reason cows and buttercups go sometimes together, cows don't like them and they tend to take over fields where cows graze, bitter or something. 

Pez and Pop seems to be water dogs, Pip and Pu less, go into the water every morning. 

Going to cut grass all day, sun today and tomorrow, but rain on Wedensday.

TODAY

JUN 11
Mostly Sunny
71°47°
0%
ENE 7 mph 55%
TUE

JUN 12
Sunny
73°55°
0%
SSW 13 mph 55%
WED

JUN 13
Rain
74°57°
70%
SSW 12 mph 81%

IMG_9701 low.jpg

IMG_9702 low.jpg

IMG_9703 low.jpg

IMG_9705 low.jpg

IMG_9708 low.jpg

IMG_9709 low.jpg

IMG_9711 low.jpg

IMG_9695 low.jpg

IMG_9696 low.jpg

IMG_9697 low.jpg

Quite a bit colder this morning, must have been in the forties over night. An other sunny day in the western Catskills but supposed to rain tomorrow. Everything cut Yesterday has to be baled and wrapped today, dry or not.

But as I say, me from Iceland, good at haying between the raindrops. This is what I see in the morning, should try to take the camera out during the day, bur ones I am working , hard to think about anything else.

Was on the tractor most of the day cutting, quit by dark. Duck for dinner and to bed,  I really like duck. My body aching both from sitting in the car for the delivery and on the tractor Yesterday but will survive.

Easier when baling, the tractor going slower. When cutting you go as fast as you can, almost like holding onto a galloping horse sometimes, you have to stiffen up your body so not to fly off when hitting a bump.

Found an article on fiber in your food, never really believed that one, so much nonsense accepted as truth in my view. No expert on this, but through my own problems digestionvise, experimented on my self. I was actually looking for information on fiber when I found this, long suspected this fiber thing all being gobbledygook. You can see it on "Food and health".

One more thing, when I go on to the forum, a error message comes up so I have to reload. You probably experience the same. Know how to fix it but don´t have time right now, will do it in a day or two.

IMG_9715 low.jpg

IMG_9716 low.jpg

IMG_9719 low.jpg

IMG_9720 low.jpg

IMG_9721 low.jpg

IMG_9723 low.jpg

IMG_9725 low.jpg

IMG_9727 low.jpg

IMG_9728 low.jpg

IMG_9729 low.jpg

Raining when I woke up. We baled into the dark, me mostly baling and Jason wrapping. He was like a light show in the dark out in the field, lights on the tractor back and forth so he could see what he was doing. The old Deutz I was on has no lights no more, just empty sockets up front. A 50 years old machine this year, made in then West Germany in 1968 and still going strong, beautiful sound from the 6 cylinder air cooled engine. Just keeps on going and going, one of the front tires original, a 50 year old tire, something else. Going to do a whole picee on it with pictures very soon.

These white an yellow flowers have the name Baldursbrá in Icelandic and grow in Iceland. Direct translations would be "Baldur´s face". Baldur was one of the Norse gods, the all good one. Some say he was an add on for Jesus.

He was so good, all creatures in the world, plants and animals even dead things a believe, promised never to harm him. Except the holly, somebody forgot to ask it, So Loki the evil god made an arrow out of it. So when the gods were bored they would make fun by throwing things at Baldur, never able to hit him becouse every thing veered away from him.

One of the gods, don´t remember his name, was blind. So Loki gave him the arrow and asked him to shoot it at Loki. The arrow went right for his heart and that the end of Baldur, maybe even the good in this world.

You can see a heron in one of the pictures and maybe you can see the steam coming of the water or at least imagine it.

IMG_9743 low.jpg

IMG_9744 low.jpg

IMG_9748 low.jpg

IMG_9734 low.jpg

IMG_9735 low.jpg

IMG_9739 low.jpg

IMG_9740 low.jpg

IMG_9742 low.jpg

IMG_9731 low.jpg

IMG_9732 low.jpg

IMG_9733 low.jpg

Much colder this morning but very nice, another day in Heaven I guess, or would it be California? Rain Yesterday so we worked on  the cattle between the rain showers. Got a lot done, very pleased. But I am tired from the Sunday delivery, then tired from Monday cutting, tired from the Tuesday baling and tired from the  cattle Yesterday. Afterwards I cut the field the bulls came out off into the dark, long days. Going to be that way till the haying is done.

Took the camera out in the middle of the day and got these pictures of the poultry and me. The plan maybe to have a delivery July 1, just to do it. Just canceled slots for two steers and two pigs at Steiner next week, still two steers in the freezers. 

One thing, my relationship with the dogs has changed after they stopped killing the poultry. All of a sudden, just stopped. Not all that proud of some of the  the things I did to try to teach them. When you find them pulling the carcass your favorite rooster apart, feathers  fly.

What made them stop? Think maybe not the violence I inflicted on them had much do with it, just don´t know. Maybe they just grew out of it. Maybe the shame of it all just too much to carry around. Noticed at the end they knew they were not supposed to do this, just could not help them selfs or something. They even leave a chicken with two little chicks alone. What is more, they are doing their job keeping predators away, you can see it on the poultry, much more relaxed.

I was starting to think, how stupid can you be? You get dogs to protect the poultry and then the dogs kill the poultry, stupid, stupid, stupid. And I took it out on the dogs, shame on me. Saint Peter will probably mention it at the gate.

IMG_9750 low.jpg

IMG_9752 low.jpg

IMG_9755 low.jpg

IMG_9758 low.jpg

IMG_9759 low.jpg

IMG_9760 low.jpg

IMG_9761 low.jpg

IMG_9761.jpg

IMG_9763 low.jpg

IMG_9767 low.jpg

It was not supposed to rain overnight but did, somebody should be FIRED. No harm done, the sun out now and everything good. The weather forecast:

TODAY

JUN 15
Partly Cloudy
69°48°
10%
NNW 14 mph 61%
SAT

JUN 16
Partly Cloudy
76°57°
0%
WNW 8 mph 56%
SUN

JUN 17
PM Thunderstorms
84°69°
40%
SW 7 mph 67%
MON

JUN 18
PM Thunderstorms
88°67°
40%
W 14 mph 64%
TUE

JUN 19
Scattered Thunderstorms
74°55°
60%
NW 9 mph 78%

The question if I should cut more today or let it be enough what I cut Yesterday. Was cutting into the dark and took the first picture when I came in, the sky kind of neat. The last one this morning. So Titus (2 and 3) decided to come on this walk, surprise surprise. When these dogs came into the house, he moved out, knew what they were, killers.

We thought he was done for, even that that the dogs had done him in, both Pip and Pop came as grownups with unknown history. Then a few weeks later I saw him in the sheepshed and brought him in. Slowly over more than a year he has calmed down and now this walk with us.

The multi flora, that nasty nasty plant Cornell gave us (6-7-9) flowering. Seems like Pez is actually smelling the flowers. Might very well be, a new smell. Put the bulls and the bulls calves into a new field with the Rams, Dumas and Ecco (4). Should be very happy, the field they came out of no good no more. Cut that one down Yesterday morning to take the thistles out. Should get goats to eat the multi flora and the thistles. Goats are just amazing, start on the multi flora and thistles in a field. 

This is my live, cutting corners all day long. Get up in the morning planing what has to be done today and then what should be done. I know about this hair on the lens, should only take a minute to remove it, but have to be calm and collected. Then this bug in the forum so you see this error message, know how to fix that too. But again, have to be calm and collected. 

I get great satisfaction doing this diary. Maybe not many reading it but only 2 or 3 or 6 of you more than enough , makes me put my self in perspective and see what I am trying to do with your eyes.

So I go out in the morning take a few pictures. Come in and have breakfast. If Temma is home, she makes it. Do the pictures, put them in and write something. Then out to do the chores, a very good beginning.

So last night I went out at dusk to close in the poultry  and the  dogs came with me. Pop and Pez came back in, but Pu and Pip nowhere to be seen. They where not back an hour later. Went out just before I went to bed and there they were waiting to come in, very happy to see me.

They must have found something to harass. So this morning they both took off (next to last picture), must have remembered what they were doing last night. I have noticed this, they go back many times to the place they encountered something before. Or in other words, THEY ARE DOING WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO DO, keeping the  vermin away.

Always worry though when this happens at night, coyotes out there, more than one and more than four. That they will become coyote dinner. But well o well, one more reason to have many of them, seven or eight about right I think. ?

IMG_9769 low.jpg

IMG_9773 low.jpg

IMG_9775 low.jpg

IMG_9776 low.jpg

IMG_9779 low.jpg

IMG_9780 low.jpg

IMG_9781 low.jpg

IMG_9783 low.jpg

IMG_9785 low.jpg

IMG_9787 low.jpg

IMG_9772 low.jpg

Really, one would think with all their know how and technology, going to the Moon, Mars and all, they could pin down if it is going to rain or not in two days.

But no, the forecast Yesterday was for rain on Sunday, but this morning  for no rain tomorrow. I stopped cutting early Yesterday, did not want too much hay down to bale today. Now I will cut some more and bale in the afternoon and tomorrow. 

Not that much to report so maybe I will teach you some Icelandic, "hunda lógík", a phrase used sometimes. Direct translation would be, "the logic of a dog". The word "hund" same as" hound" in English. The ending "a", an ending that changes depending on the way the word is used "Hundur", about "hund", from hundi , to hundar. The word in lógík without the "r" becouse it is plural. In plural, hundar, about hunda, from hundum, to hunda.

You find this maybe complicated, but every child learns this instinctively very early in live, all somehow built into the language with a logic every child can understand and use. Beats me how or what the logic is, just the way it is.

But more on a dog's logic and how they stopped killing the poultry. They had stopped some weeks ago while Temma was away. But when she came back, they somehow figured out they could kill them while she was around, a dogs logic. 

IMG_9788 low.jpg

IMG_9789 low.jpg

IMG_9791 low.jpg

IMG_9794 low.jpg

IMG_9795 low.jpg

IMG_9796 low.jpg

IMG_9798 low.jpg

IMG_9799 low.jpg

IMG_9800 low.jpg

IMG_9801 low.jpg

IMG_9803 low.jpg

Snapping turtle day on the farm. Not seen one until now but three this morning. All on dry land going somewhere it seemed. Huge, would not be pretty if one of them had bit the dogs in the nose.

Piglets here, more pictures later. Did not want to disturb them, but also because it is not very smart to get too close, the mothers attack, very very scary. They are always changing the forecast, now just a change of rain tomorrow. Lot of grass down, mowed all day Yesterday, the field furthest away maybe 3 miles.

I am doing good, not too tired, the back okay. All these hours on the tractor sometimes takes my back out. Just another day in Heaven, the western Catskills. You can see how green everything is. Here up in the mountains we usually have enough moisture through the summer to keep everything green. Then by mid December everything gets covered with snow into late March, the perfect climate some would say. The only problem the Great Lakes north west of us put moisture up into the atmosphere in winter to give us gray skies with the north wind. I understand Binghamton an hour west of us has the most gray days of all Cities in the States. Don´t think it is as bad here on the farm further east.

In some way we are in a good location, south of the Snow belt from Buffalo to Syracuse. Close enough to the east coast to get rain from the coastal storms but far enough not to get the brunt of the hurricanes. As I said, pretty close to Heaven on earth. Did I forget, not many mosquitoes because of the  cool nights.

IMG_9804 low.jpg

IMG_9805 low.jpg

IMG_9809 low.jpg

IMG_9814 low.jpg

IMG_9816 low.jpg

IMG_9818 low.jpg

IMG_9820 low.jpg

IMG_9824 low.jpg

Hot and humid, supposed to rain in the afternoon, the hope to have everything baled by then. Pissed at somebody, supposed to help me Yesterday finish baling, but did not show up.

Well that's live, everybody lets you down. But to be fair, this farming my thing and haying makes me paranoid, me against world kind of thing. An Icelandic trait, through the centuries, everybody who could, would work 24 hours during the summer haying. The only way to get the livestock through the long winters. Not enough hay and the livestock would die late winter and you even with it. It is actually quite interesting how technologically advanced the settlers were,  their haying tools to be exact, this in the 7th, 8th and 9th Century. Not much changed then through the Centuries all the way into the 20th. Quite a story I would like to tell. Iceland north of the grain growing belt, grass and hay then the only way of feeding the livestock.

Messed up the pickup on the baler Yesterday, luckily we have two balers and the plan me baling while Jason rebuilds the pickup today. The pickup is the part of the baler that rakes the hay up from the ground and transports it into the baler where it gets rolled up into the bale. Because the pickup hugs the ground, a stone or a branch can do a lot of damage before you can stop. Maybe I was stressed and driving too fast, trying to get as much done as possible because somebody didn't come. Blame it all on him, makes me feel better.

IMG_9830 low.jpg

IMG_9831 low.jpg

IMG_9832 low.jpg

IMG_9833 low.jpg

IMG_9834 low.jpg

IMG_9836 low.jpg

IMG_9837 low.jpg

IMG_9838 low.jpg

IMG_9839 low.jpg

IMG_9840 low.jpg

IMG_9825 low.jpg

Took the new camera out this morning, thought I had figured it out. Did not work but luckily I took some on the old camera. Something about the camera storing the pictures in the wrong file format, have to read some more.

Baled Yesterday until I was caught in the rain, then had to drive home these 3 miles in the open tractor, drenched by the time I was home. I am completely overwhelmed these days, both emotionally and in the real world, this haying getting to me. Think this happens to us farmers today, we are so alone in what we are trying to do and even resented by those around us.

Understandable, one thing to fight because one believes in what one is fighting for, another to put others on the line, ones family. Then Pu ran away again, have to call the Pound. One more time and I will give him away, a nice dog, but a farm dog has to stay on the farm. Not that he is at the Pound, who knows where he is.

I think few understand how difficult it is to keep a farm going in a country that has forgotten us farmers. But everybody has their troubles, one just has to soldier on.

Also I am waiting for news from Iceland, my case supposed to go into court today, a 20 year ongoing battle or my part of it. Intend to have it translated to show you if the lawyer allows me, can't do anything to cross him. Checking my email every other minute to see if it has been done.

On to lighter things,  found this news story on the Icelandic television. The woman and her late husband bought this house, built in the late 19. century and turned into a summerhouse. This is an Icelandic sod house, more on that later, just interesting to see. The news story after that on how they are teaching Russians to smile, in English, quite funny. One reason the house were built like this, the lack of lumber, but also the sod insulates.

http://www.ruv.is/frett/byr-i-torfbae-a-sumrin-a-borgarfirdi-eystra

Going to work on th poultry and then cut grass, weather forecast says several days of sun.

IMG_9841 low.jpg

IMG_9842 low.jpg

IMG_9843 low.jpg

IMG_9844 low.jpg

IMG_9845 low.jpg

IMG_9846 low.jpg

IMG_9847 low.jpg

Grassodenhäuser.jpg

1280px-Glaumbaer40.jpg

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.